Skip to content

News / News

| News

Sale of Marianopolis College

Montreal, March 27, 2024 – Les Sœurs de la Congrégation de Notre-Dame has finalized a sales agreement for the purchase of the land and the building located at 4378 Westmount Avenue by Marianopolis College. Founded at the beginning of the 20th century, this college represents an important legacy left by the Congregation to Quebec society.

In October 1908, thanks to the efforts of Mother Sainte-Anne-Marie and her collaborators, the École d’enseignement supérieur welcomed its first forty students. The bilingual institution opened the doors to higher education for women, the classic course having been, up until that point, reserved to men. The anglophone section of the college would later be named the Notre Dame Ladies’ College.

The building itself was constructed a few years later, in 1926, to house the Marguerite Bourgeoys College (the name that the École d’enseignement supérieur had at this point) and the Institute of Pedagogy. In 1943, the francophone and anglophone sections of the college became separate administrative entities in order to better respond to the needs of their students. From this moment on, the name Marianopolis was used to refer to the college.

The institute has since occupied different locations before returning to 4378 Westmount Street in 2007. Between 1944 and 2007, this building hosted the Marguerite Bourgeoys College and the Institute of Pedagogy (including the École normale de musique) and was the 7th Mother House of the Congrégation de Notre-Dame.

The educational project of Marianopolis was built from the start on the excellence of its programs in connection with the values of liberating education held by the Congrégation de Notre-Dame. By liberating education, we are referring to a form of education that aims to develop the full potential of each individual, preparing them to become agents of transformation. Liberating education humanizes relationships and promotes mutual and interdependent dialogues; it promotes the importance of the life of each person and of our planet.

Following the release of the Parent Report, Marianopolis College became a CEGEP in 1969. Les Sœurs de la Congrégation de Notre-Dame were responsible for running the school until 2009.

We would like to express our gratitude to all those who have taught in or managed the institution, accompanying generations of students and their parents. Thanks to the teachers and all the members of the staff and students who have contributed to making Marianopolis College an exceptional living environment in which to grow. May the graduates of the College continue to support our society with their many talents for many years to come.

For information on the history of the College:

Frances Kirwan, CND. Marianopolis – City of Mary (1998)